Alex and Emily - Chicken Larb Wonton Stack
with Crispy Chicken Skin
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
8 wonton wrappers
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Chives, mint & coriander leaves, to garnish
500g chicken breast, skin on
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs lime juice
1 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp peanut oil
1cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stick lemongrass (white part only), finely chopped
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
1. Deep fry wonton wrappers until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
2. Preheat oven to 180C.
3. Remove chicken skin from chicken and place on an oven tray, gently stretching it out into a thin layer. Top with a second oven tray to weight it down.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
5. To make larb, finely chop chicken breast meat.
6. Whisk fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a jug until sugar dissolves.
7. Heat peanut oil in a large wok over medium high heat. Stir-fry ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chilli for 1 minute until fragrant.
8. Add chicken and stir-fry until chicken is cooked. Stir in sauce mixture.
9. Serve chicken mixture layered with wonton wrappers to create a stack on each serving plate. Garnish with crispy chicken skin and herbs.
Larb is traditionally served at room temperature, rather than hot.
You can strain the chicken mixture before assembling, to prevent to wontons from getting soggy.