Olga and Valeria - Chicken Kiev Croquettes
with Yoghurt Sauce
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Seasonal leaf salad, to serve
200g (¾ cup) Greek-style yoghurt
¼ cup finely chopped dill
100g butter, at room temperature
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs finely chopped dill
500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed of fat, minced
1 tbs plain flour, plus extra, to dust
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
2 eggs, lightly beaten
95g (1¼ cup) panko breadcrumbs
1. To make yoghurt sauce, combine yoghurt and dill in a bowl. Season. Refrigerate until needed.
2. To make croquettes, place butter, garlic and herbs in a food processor and process to combine. Season. Shape into a narrow log (about 4cm wide) and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into eight pieces.
3. Combine chicken mince and flour in a bowl. Season. Divide mixture into eight portions.
4. Roll each portion into a ball around a piece of garlic butter.
5. Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Working in batches, dust croquettes with flour, dip in eggs, allow excess to drain off, then coat in breadcrumbs. Gently drop into the oil and fry, turning, for 4-5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
6. Divide among serving plates and serve with yoghurt sauce and salad to the side.