Davide and Marco - Cheesy BBQ Meatballs
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
4 baguette or sub rolls, toasted
200g grated mozzarella cheese
Rocket leaves, to serve
300g pork mince
100g beef mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp onion powder
50g finely grated parmesan
½ bunch finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbs olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
500ml passata sauce
150g plain flour
50g rice flour
200g potatoes, cut into chips
200g sweet potatoes, cut into chips
200g zucchini, cut into chips
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. To make meatballs, place all ingredients in a large bowl. Using your hands, massage to combine. Roll mixture into golf-size balls and place on a tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
2. To prepare sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook vegetables, stirring often, until very soft. Stir in passata. Season. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. To make fries, combine flours in a bowl and season well.
4. Dust potatoes and zucchini in flour mixture.
5. Deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
6. Heat an oiled barbecue hot plate or frying pan on medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches, turning, until browned all over and just cooked through. Transfer to tomato sauce.
7. Place cheese in a frying pan over medium heat and stir until just melted.
8. To assemble, divide meatballs and sauce among rolls. Top with melted cheese and rocket. Serve with fries.