Stella and Jazzey - Caponata
with Fried Goats Cheese and Hazelnuts
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Basil leaves and crushed toasted hazelnuts, to garnish
125ml olive oil
2 medium eggplant, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, coarsely chopped
1 small zucchini, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 ripe vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tbs harissa
2 tsp caster sugar
125ml dry red wine
150g pitted green olives
3 tbs baby capers, rinsed
250g punnet cherry tomatoes
Fried Goats Cheese
80g goats cheese, cut into cubes
Plain flour, for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g pretzels, finely chopped
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. To make caponata, heat 100ml oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil to same pan. Add onion and cook until soft, but not coloured. Stir in capsicum, zucchini and garlic. Stir in vine ripened tomatoes, harissa, sugar, wine and olives. Bring to a boil.
3. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring often until soft and thick. Stir in capers and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from heat set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Dust goats cheese in flour, then dip in egg and then pretzel crumbs.
5. Deep fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
6. Divide caponata among serving dishes and top with goats cheese. Garnish with basil and nuts.