Kim and Suong - Ca Chien Xa Ot
(Fried Lemongrass Fish)
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
4 x 150g snapper fillets, skin removed & reserved
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Chopped toasted peanuts, coriander, sliced red chilli and star fruit, to garnish
50ml vegetable oil
1 stick lemongrass (white part only), finely chopped
1 green spring onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp powdered chicken stock
½ tsp oyster sauce
½ tsp caster sugar
6 tbs grated palm sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Birdseye chili, finely diced
3 tbs hot water
3 tbs orange juice
6 tbs lime juice
6 tbs fish sauce
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped coriander
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
250ml white vinegar
50g caster sugar
1 carrot, peeled, cut into julienne
1 stick celery, peeled, cut into julienne
1 green mango, peeled, cut into julienne
½ cup coriander leaves
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup Thai basil leaves
1. To make marinade, process all ingredients until finely chopped and combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add fish. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
2. To make dressing, pound sugar and garlic in a pestle and mortar to form a purée. Add chilli and pound to combine. Transfer mixture to a small processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
3. To make salad, stir vinegar and sugar in a saucepan until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Add carrot and celery. Set aside to pickle and cool. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add remaining ingredients. Add enough dressing to coat and toss to combine. Season.
5. Deep fry fish skin until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
6. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Cook fish fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
7. To plate, drizzle remaining dressing over plates. Divide salad among plates and top with fish and crispy skin. Garnish with nuts, coriander, chilli and star fruit.