Roula and Rachael - Brownies
with Salted Caramel Sauce
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
20g unsalted butter, chopped
150g dark chocolate, chopped
500g raw caster sugar
5 eggs, lightly beaten
150g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
100g plain white marshmallows, chopped coarsely
Salted Caramel Sauce
330g caster sugar
300ml thickened cream, warmed
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 27cm x 18cm cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
2. To make brownies, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate and stir until smooth, melted and combined. Stir in sugar. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in eggs one at a time. Stir in combined sifted flour and cocoa. Fold in marshmallows.
3. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until just cooked – surface should be set and have a crust, but centre will be slightly damp. Cool in pan. Cut into squares or slices.
5. To make salted caramel sauce, stir sugar and water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until dark golden brown.
6. Remove from heat and whisk in warm cream. Return to heat and stir until mixture is melted, smooth and combined. Stir in salt. Simmer until slightly thickened.
7. Serve brownies and caramel sauce with whipped cream and raspberries.
Leftover brownies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. Salted caramel sauce can be kept for up to three weeks.
Try serving with sour cream or cream fraiche, the acidity pairs well with the sweetness of the brownies.