Davide and Marco - Bignè
Prep time: 50 mins (+cooling)
Cook time: 40 mins
200g milk chocolate, melted
Italian-Style Chantilly Cream
1L (4 cups) milk
500ml (2 cups) thickened cream
300g caster sugar
1 lemon, thinly peeled rind
8 egg yolks
160g (3/4 cups) ‘00’ pasta flour
100g dark chocolate, chopped
100g butter, chopped
200g ‘00’ pasta flour
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 lemon, zested
150ml thickened cream
300g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. To make chantilly cream, place 900ml of milk, cream, sugar and lemon rind in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot.
2. Whisk egg yolks, remaining milk and flour in a jug until smooth and combined. Remove and discard rind, then gradually whisk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to pan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Pass mixture through a fine sieve and place two-thirds in one bowl and remaining mixture in a separate bowl with chocolate. Stir until smooth and combined.
4. Spoon custards into two different piping bags and refrigerate until cold.
5. To make bignè, preheat oven to 200C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Place butter and 375ml (1½ cups) water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add combined sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, beat until mixture leaves side of pan and a smooth ball forms. Gradually beat in eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition, until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in lemon zest.
6. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle. Pipe walnut-size balls, 4cm apart, onto prepared tray.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Reduce oven to 150C and bake for a further 10 minutes or until crisp. Turn oven off. Cut a slit in base of puffs to allow steam to escape. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until dry. Cool.
8. To make ganache, heat cream in a small saucepan until hot. Place chocolate in a bowl and pour over hot cream. Stir until smooth and combined.
9. Pipe vanilla custard into two-thirds of the bignès and pipe chocolate custard into remaining bignès.
10. Decorate chocolate-custard filled bignès with sifted icing sugar. Dip half of the vanilla custard-filled bignès in dark chocolate ganache and the remaining bignès in melted milk chocolate. Serve.