Henry and Anna - Beetroot, Feta & Walnut Tart
Prep time: 45 mins (+resting)
Cook time: 1 hour
Balsamic glaze, to drizzle
6 medium beetroot
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
200g Persian feta, crumbled
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, roasted
250g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
125g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1-2 tbs chilled water
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To make filling, place unpeeled beetroot on an oven tray.
3. Roast for about 45 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly then peel. Grate coarsely into a bowl. Add oil and vinegar. Season. Toss to combine.
4. To make pastry, place flour, salt and thyme into a food processor. Add butter and process to form crumbs. Add the chilled water and process until dough just comes together.
5. Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Lightly grease eight 10cm round fluted tart tins with removable bases.
6. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 3-5mm thick. Line base and sides of tins with pastry. Using a fork, prick base. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
7. Cover pastry with baking paper and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove beans and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes or until pastry is light golden and crisp. Cool completely.
8. Add rosemary and half the feta and walnuts to grated beetroot. Season. Toss to gently combine.
9. Divide beetroot filling among tart shells. Sprinkle with remaining feta and walnuts. Return to oven for about 10 minutes or until hot.
10. Serve drizzled with balsamic glaze.
This makes a great dinner party dish, as tart cases and beetroot filling can be prepared a day in advance. Then tarts can be easily assembled and heated to serve.