Dan and Gemma - Beef Ribs
with Coleslaw, Charred Corn and Lime Mayo
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
1.5kg beef short ribs
4 corn cobs
100g parmesan, finely grated
Chipotle chilli powder, to sprinkle
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp celery salt
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp smoked paprika
400g can crushed tomatoes
100ml tomato sauce
55g brown sugar
60ml malt vinegar
1-2 tbs bourbon whiskey (optional)
2 egg yolks
2 tbs lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 tsp Dijon mustard
250ml light olive oil
125ml lime mayo (above)
1 tsp lime juice
Few drops of chipotle tabasco
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 carrot, cut into julienne
1 apple, cut into julienne
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. To make rub, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add beef ribs and using your hands, massage rub all over ribs.
3. Place in a roasting dish and cover with foil. Roast for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for about a further 1 hour or until tender, turning every 30 minutes so that they evenly caramelise.
4. Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, until soft and golden brown. Stir in garlic. Stir in all remaining ingredients, except bourbon. Bring to a boil. Simmer over lowest heat, stirring often, for about 45 minutes or until thickened and reduced. Season. Blend with s stick blender until smooth. Stir in bourbon.
5. To make lime mayo, process egg yolks, juice, zest and mustard until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Season. Refrigerate.
6. To make coleslaw, whisk mayo, lime juice and tabasco in a large bowl until combined. Season. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Refrigerate until required.
7. Cook corn in a saucepan of boiling water until almost tender. Drain.
8. Place parmesan in a shallow bowl.
9. Heat a lightly oiled chargrill or barbecue over medium heat. Add corn and cook, turning, until charred and tender.
10. Brush each cob with lime mayonnaise and then roll or dust with grated parmesan. Sprinkle with chipotle chilli powder.
11. Serve ribs, coleslaw and corn with sauce.
If you like a hit of spice, try adding some chilli powder to the spice rub.