Stella and Jazzey - Beef Burger
with Pickled Beetroot and Blue Cheese Sauce
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
800g beef mince
1 tbs Dijon mustard
2 tsp chilli sauce (we used chipotle tabasco)
4 burger buns, toasted
Lettuce leaves and thinly sliced fennel, to serve
250ml red wine vinegar
55g caster sugar
1 tsp coriander seeds
Pinch dried chilli flakes
1 large beetroot, coarsely grated or thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
Blue Cheese Sauce
80g sour cream
80g blue cheese, crumbled (we used Roquefort)
½ cup finely chopped flat leaf-parsley
1 small pickled cucumber (gherkin), finely diced
1. To pickle beetroot, stir vinegar, sugar, coriander seeds and chilli flakes in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in onion. Remove from heat and stir in beetroot. Refrigerate, covered, until required. Strain to serve.
2. To make blue cheese sauce, process sour cream, mayonnaise and blue cheese to combine. Stir in parsley and pickled cucumber. Season with pepper.
3. To make burger patties, combine beef, mustard and chilli sauce in a bowl. Season well. Shape into four patties.
4. Heat a chargrill or barbecue over medium heat. Cook patties, turning, until browned all over and cooked through.
5. Spread buns with blue cheese sauce. Sandwich with lettuce, beef patties, fennel and pickled beetroot.
This blue cheese sauce tossed through pasta, or served with grilled chicken and vegetables.
If you can, pickle the beetroot a day or two in advance to allow the flavours to develop.