Kim and Suong - Bánh Xèo
Prep time: 45 mins (+30 mins marinating)
Cook time: 10 mins
1kg pork scotch fillet, thinly sliced
200g additional bean sprouts
Lettuce leaves and Vietnamese herbs, to serve
1 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs honey
1 tsp chicken stock powder
1 tbs milk powder
1 tbs toasted ground rice
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp chilli sauce
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1 tbs finely chopped lemongrass
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
1 green spring onion, white part only, finely chopped
80ml (1/3 cup) peanut oil
500g rice flour
150g (1 cup) potato starch
2 tbs rice starch
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp salt
400ml coconut milk
375ml (1½ cups) beer
2 green spring onions, green part only, finely chopped
1 tbs vinegar
250ml white vinegar
250g white sugar
200g carrots, cut into julienne
200g daikon radish, cut into julienne
6 tbs caster sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bird’s-eye chilli, finely chopped
1 orange, zested
1 lime, zested
6 tbs lime juice
6 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs orange juice
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely copped
1 tbs finely chopped coriander
Green Onion Oil
2 green spring onions, middle part only, finely chopped
4 tbs peanut oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1. To make marinade, place all ingredients in a food processor and process to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and add pork. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight to marinate.
2. To make batter, sift combined flour, starches, spices, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Whisk in coconut milk, beer, vinegar and 400ml iced water until smooth and combined. Set aside for 30 minutes.
3. To make pickle vegetables, place vinegar, sugar and 250ml (1 cup) hot water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil, then stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in vegetables. Set aside for 1 hour to pickle and cool.
4. To make dipping sauce, place sugar, garlic and chilli in a mortar and pestle and pound until a smooth paste forms. Stir in remaining ingredients and 3 tbs hot water. Set aside to infuse. Strain to serve.
5. To make onion oil, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute. Season. Remove and set aside to cool and infuse.
6. Preheat a charcoal barbecue until hot. Remove pork from marinade and add to barbecue, in batches, and cook, brushing with onion oil throughout, for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and almost cooked through.
7. To make pancakes, preheat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 125ml (½ cup) of batter and quickly swirl to cover base of pan. Sprinkle a little of the beansprouts and grilled pork over one side. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove lid and cook for a further 2 minutes or until underside of pancake is crisp. Do not flip. Fold in half and slide out of pan onto serving plate. Repeat to make 12 pancakes.
8. Divide pancakes among serving plates. Drain pickled vegetables and add to pancake. Add lettuce leaves and Vietnamese herbs. Drain dipping sauce and serve to the side.