Kim and Suong - Banana Fritters
with Coconut Cream
Cook time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Mint leaves, to garnish
2 x 400ml cans coconut cream, refrigerated until cold
50g icing sugar mixture
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs lime juice
Mango & Pineapple Sauce
½ small ripe pineapple, chopped
60ml cold water
1 large ripe mango, chopped
4 ripe lady finger bananas
125g rice flour
125g self-raising flour
375ml iced soda water
1 tbs runny honey
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. To make coconut cream, open can of coconut cream and scrape thick top-part into a bowl (reserve liquid cream for another use). Whisk in icing sugar, juices and salt until smooth and combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
2. To make mango and pineapple sauce, stir pineapple and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until pineapple softens. Transfer to a blender and cool. Add mango. Blend to form a smooth purée.
3. To make fritters, peel bananas and slice them in half lengthways.
4. Sift combined flours into a bowl. Whisk in soda water and honey to form a smooth batter.
5. Dip banana halves into batter and deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
6. Serve banana fritters with coconut cream and mango and pineapple sauce. Garnish with mint.
Any type of bananas will work for this recipe, just make sure they're ripe.
You can adjust the sugar and citrus juice in the coconut cream, to suit your taste.