Henry and Anna - Apple, Pear & Walnut Crumble
with Vanilla Ice Cream
Prep time: 20 mins (+4 hours freezing)
Cook time: 1 hour
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
130g wholemeal plain flour
65g caster sugar
65g cold butter, chopped
40g walnuts, finely chopped
40g walnuts, coarsely chopped
500g apples, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
500g pears, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
1 lemon, zested, juiced
1 rosemary sprig
3 tbs golden caster sugar
1. To make ice-cream, place milk, cream and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
2. Meanwhile, to make crumble, preheat oven to 180C. Process flour and sugar in a blender until combined. Add butter and process until crumbs form. Stir through walnuts and refrigerate until needed.
3. To make filling, place all ingredients with 2 tbs water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until fruit is almost tender. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and place apple mixture in a 20cm pie dish. Discard rosemary.
4. Scatter crumble over apple mixture and bake for 50 minutes or until golden.
5. Pour reserved liquid into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until thickened.
6. Divide crumble among serving bowls and add a scoop of ice-cream. Pour over sauce to serve.