Court and Duncan - Jalapeno Cornbread
with Beef Chilli Dip
Prep time: 50 mins Cook time: 3 hours 50 mins Serves: 6
1kg beef bones
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chilli powder
800g beef chuck steak, cut into 4cm pieces
3 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
1 habanero chilli, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
500ml beef stock
2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
400g can kidney beans, drainedJalapeno Cornbread
150g butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g self-raising flour
2 jalapeño chillies, finely chopped
250g vintage cheddar, grated
1 tsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper, to seasonCoriander Butter
125g butter, at room temperature
1 bunch coriander, leaves finely chopped
1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place bones on an oven tray and roast for 30 minutes or until caramelised.
- Place spices in a bowl. Add meat and half the oil and massage to combine.
- Heat butter and remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum and chilli and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until soft and lightly
- browned. Stir in garlic. Stir in stock, tomatoes, kidney beans and beef bones. Bring to a simmer.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until browned all over. Add beef to stock mixture and simmer,
- covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for a further 1½ hours or until thickened and meat is tender. Remove any meat from bones and discard bones.
- To make cornbread, grease a 20cm square cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Whisk milk, buttermilk, butter and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season well, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack.
- To make coriander butter, stir all ingredients until combined.
- Slice cornbread and place on serving plates. Serve with butter and chilli dip.