Caitie and Demi - Japanese Hamburgers
with Sweet Potato Fries
Prep time: 2 hours Cook time: 1 hour 20 mins Serves: 4
Baby spinach leaves
Brioche Buns (makes 12)
80ml milk, warmed
2tsp dried yeast
2tbs caster sugar
300g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs lightly whisked
140g butter, at room temperature, chopped
1 extra egg, lightly beaten
Black sesame seeds
125ml red wine
100g brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1tbs red wine vinegar
1tbs Worcestershire sauce
1tbs tomato sauce
2tbs white miso
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsp caster sugar
1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
4 Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
2tbs light soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil
1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
Sweet Potato Fries
1kg small sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
60ml grapeseed oil
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
300g beef mince
300g pork mince
2 green spring onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 egg, lightly beaten
2tbs Kecap manis
- To make brioche buns, stir milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a small bowl to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift combined flour, salt and remaining sugar into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add eggs and yeast mixture.
- Mix on low speed until combined. Mix for a further 10 minutes until smooth and shiny. Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel bowl and set aside in a warm place to prove for about 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place on a lightly floured oven tray and cover with a tea towel. Set aside in a warm place, for about 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Brush buns with beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make sauce, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened. Cool completely.
- To prepare eggplant, whisk all ingredients except eggplant in a large bowl to combine. Add eggplant and toss to coat.
- Arrange mixture in a lightly oiled roasting pan. Roast for about 45 minutes or until soft and caramelised, tossing half way through.
- To cook mushrooms, heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated.
- To make fries, toss all ingredients in a bowl to coat evenly. Arrange on an oven tray in a single layer. Roast for about 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning half way through.
- To make patties, using your hands, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season well. Shape into four patties.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, turning occasionally, until browned all over and cooked through.
- To assemble burgers, spread bun bases with sauce. Layer with patties, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach and bun tops. Serve with sweet potato fries.