Caitie and Demi - Galaktoboureko
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 50 mins Serves: 6
Toasted walnut pieces and fresh pomegranate seeds, to garnish
Greek yogurt, to serve
150g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g cornflakes, finely crushed
150g butter, melted
100g caster sugar
30g cornflour dissolved in 2 tbs cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g butter, melted
50g caster sugar
1 tbs honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
90g cornflakes, lightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- To make base, combine sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in cornflakes and butter. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate until required.
- To make custard, stir 700ml of the milk and 50g of the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk remaining ingredients in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until custard is thick. Pour custard over base.
- To make topping, stir butter, sugar, honey and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat until melted and combined. Stir in cornflakes. Spread over custard in pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until custard is set and top is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and stand for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into slices.
- Garnish galaktoboureko with walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Serve with yoghurt.