Caitie and Demi - Moussaka
with Candied Lemon Salad
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour 40 mins Serves: 6
3 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
1 tbs of olive oil
1 tbs dried oregano
6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
Panko breadcrumbs, to sprinkleMeat Sauce
1 tbs olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
700g beef mince
125ml red wine
400g can crushed tomatoes
2 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs dried oregano
2 tsp brown sugarBechamel Sauce
4 tbs butter
5 tbs plain flour
750ml warm milk
1 tsp of cinnamon
170g kefalograviera cheese
1 egg yolkSalad
55g caster sugar
2 large lemons, segmented
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbs chopped fresh basil
200g baby spinach
12 pitted green olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Arrange eggplants on an oven tray in a single layer. Brush with oil, season and sprinkle with oregano.
- Roast for 10 minutes.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Cool.
- To make meat sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft, but not coloured. Stir in garlic.
- Add mince. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned. Stir in wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season well.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer, partially covered, stirring often, for 1 hour or until soft, thick, reduced and flavoursome.
- To make béchamel sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Gradually whisk in milk to form a sauce. Stir in cinnamon. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese. Wisk in egg and yolk. Season with pepper.To assemble moussaka, spoon a layer of meat sauce over base of six ramekins. Top with a layer of potatoes, a sprinkling of fresh thyme, a layer of eggplant and meat sauce. Repeat. Top with béchamel sauce and panko breadcrumbs.
- Reduce oven to 180C.
- Bake moussakas for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make salad, stir water and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add lemon segments and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Strain, reserving lemons and liquid.
- Whisk oil, mustard and 2 tablespoons of the reserved lemon liquid in a large bowl. Season.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve moussaka with salad.