Brett and Marie - Veal and Sausage
in Tomato Sauce with Crispy Polenta
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins (+ chilling) Serves: 4
750ml vegetable stock
125ml thickened cream
170g instant polenta
1 tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary
50g finely grated parmesan
Nonna's Tomato Sauce
2 tbs olive oil
100g-piece pancetta, cut into 1cm pieces
200g pork sausages, squeezed out of their skins
200g veal mince
1 red onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bunch parsley stalks, finely chopped
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
2 tbs tomato paste
400g can crushed tomatoes
500ml chicken stock
2 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to season
2 tbs chopped fresh thyme
2 tbs chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To make polenta, grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan.
- Place stock and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Gradually whisk in polenta. Add rosemary and cook, stirring, for 5-8 minutes or until polenta is softened and thickened. Season well. Stir in butter and parmesan.
- Pour polenta into prepared pan. Smooth over to level, then set aside to cool completely. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add sausages to same pan. Cook, breaking up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add veal to pan and cook, breaking up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion to same pan and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Return pancetta, sausage and veal to pan. Stir in garlic, parsley and Italian herbs. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, stock and sugar. Season and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until thickened. Stir in thyme, sage and parsley.
- Invert cooled polenta onto a clean surface and cut into 4cm squares.
- Preheat a greased chargrill pan over medium heat. Add polenta squares and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Divide polenta squares among serving plates. Spoon over sauce to serve.