Brett and Marie - Clear Tomato Consommé
with Prosciutto and Buffalo Mozzarella
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 4
1 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
250g buffalo mozzarella, cut into 2cm cubes
4 slices prosciutto, grilled until crisp
Chives, to garnish
2 tbs olive oil
700g fennel, quartered, core removed (fronds reserved for garnish)
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2.2 kg tomatoes, quartered
8 large egg whites, chilled
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 tbs coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
½ cup ice cubes
- To make consommé, heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook fennel, onions and garlic, stirring often, until soft but not coloured.
- Process tomatoes to form a purée and add to stock pot. Season well. Bring to a boil. Simmer on lowest heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a sieve lined with muslin, squeezing muslin to extract maximum amount of juice.
- Place juice in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- To make raft mixture, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until frothy.
- Whisk raft mixture into tomato mixture and return to a medium heat. Bring to a simmer stirringly constantly then reduce heat and simmer gently, without stirring, for 30 minutes. Poke a small hole in centre of raft to allow steam to escape.
- Carefully ladle consommé out of pot and through a muslin lined sieve into a clean saucepan. Return to the heat and simmer for a further X minutes until reduced to X and flavour is rich and intense. Stir in vinegar. Season.
- To serve, place mozzarella in base of serving bowls. Ladle in consommé. Top with prosciutto. Garnish with chives.