Amy and Tyson - Peaches and Cream
2 peaches, halved
2 tsp brown sugar
Thyme sprigs, to decorateCake
250g butter, at room temperature
275g caster sugar
335g self-raising flour
35g plain flour
180ml milkPickled Peaches
185ml apple cider vinegar
110g caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 firm ripe peaches, peeled, cut into 2cm cubesNut and Seed Crumb
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup macadamias
2 tbs shelled pistachios
2 tbs pumpkin seeds
2 tbs sunflower seeds
Pinch saltPeach Puree
2 peaches, chopped
1 tbs caster sugarThyme Creme
250g crème fraîche
2 tsp honey
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. With motor operating, add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions. Fold in milk and combined sifted flours in two batches.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cut into squares.
- To prepare pickled peaches, place peaches in a bowl.
- Stir water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Pour over peaches in bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Drain to serve.
- To make nut and seed crumb, spread nuts and seeds on an oven tray. Roast for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely then place in a small processor with the salt. Pulse to form coarse crumbs.
- To make peach purée, blend peaches and sugar to form a purée. Pass through a fine sieve. Refrigerate until required.
- To make thyme crème fraîche, stir all ingredients together. Refrigerate until required.
- To grill peaches, sprinkle cut side of peaches with brown sugar. Heat a lightly oiled grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook peaches, cut-side down, until golden and lightly charred.
- Serve cake, grilled and pickled peaches with nut and seed crumb, peach purée and thyme crème fraîche. Decorate with thyme sprigs.