Amy and Tyson - Duck and Turnips
Prep time: 1 hour 20 mins Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 4
4 duck breasts, skin scored
4 chard leaves, trimmedPickled Turnip
500ml white balsamic vinegar
100g caster sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp white peppercorns
1 baby beetroot, peeled, quartered
4 baby turnips, peeled, thinly slicedSauce
1kg duck bones
2 litres chicken stock
250ml red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp Chinese five spice
2 tbs white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Juice of 1 orange
1 tsp xantham gumBraised Duck Legs
1 brown onion, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 duck legs
1 litre chicken stockConfit Turnip
4 baby turnips, quartered
500g duck fat
1/2 bunch thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic, crushedTurnip and Potato Mash
800g turnips, peeled, chopped
200g potatoes, peeled, chopped
2 pears, peeled, chopped
80ml thickened cream
- To pickle turnips, stir vinegar, sugar, peppercorns and beetroot in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in turnips and set aside to cool completely. Drain to serve (reserve pickling liquid for another use).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the sauce, place the duck bones on an oven tray.
- Roast for about 40 minutes or until caramelised. Transfer to a large saucepan and add stock. Simmer for 1 hour. Strain and discard bones.
- Place wine and port in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil. Add strained stock, garlic, five spice, vinegar and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and whisk in orange juice and xanthan gum.
- To braise duck legs, place vegetables in a casserole dish. Add duck legs and pour over stock.
- Cover tightly and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 1 hour or until tender. Remove duck legs and trim away and discard skin. Remove meat from bones.
- To confit turnips, season turnips with salt and set aside.
- Melt duck fat with thyme and bay leaves in a saucepan over lowest heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add turnips and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- To make mash, place turnips and potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until tender, adding pears for last 5 minutes. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
- Remove potatoes and pass through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Place turnips and pears in a blender and blend until smooth. Add butter and cream. Blend until smooth. Add to potato in bowl and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Season.
- Place duck breasts in a cold frying pan, skin side down. Place over medium heat and cook until skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for 30 seconds to brown.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a warm plate to rest for 3 minutes. Slice thickly.
- Add chard leaves to same pan that duck was cooked in and cook over medium heat until wilted. Season.
- Serve duck breast and duck leg meat with confit and pickled turnips, turnip and potato mash, chard leaves and sauce.