Alyse and Matt - Vanilla Panna Cotta
with Mandarin and Biscotti
Prep time: 45 minutes (+ 4 hours setting) Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 6
Crushed, toasted pistachios, to decorate
6.5g leaf gelatine
375ml thickened cream
115g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
220g caster sugar
115g butter, melted
1tsp vanilla paste
170g whole roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
3 egss, lightly beaten
350g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
250ml mandarin juice
1tsp caster sugar
4 mandarins, segmented, all pith removed
- To make panna cotta, soak gelatine leaves in cold water to soften.
- Stir milk, cream, sugar and vanilla seeds in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse. Stir in softened gelatine until dissolved.
- Divide among four lightly greased dariole moulds or ramekins. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To make biscotti, whisk sugar, butter, brandy and paste in a large bowl. Stir in almonds and eggs. Add combined sifted flour and baking powder. Stir to form a soft dough.
- Shape into two loaves and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Remove plastic wrap and transfer loaves to an oven tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Slice thickly.
- To prepare mandarin segments, simmer juice and sugar until reduced by half. Stir in mandarin segments. Refrigerate until cold.
For biscotti with a crisper finish, simply slice thinly and return to the over for a further 20 minutes.