Albert and Dave - Hainan Chicken
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 2 hours 10 mins Serves: 4-6
800g chicken tenderloins
Sliced cucumber and kecap minis, to serve
Green spring onions, sliced, to garnish
1kg pork bones
1kg chicken bones or wings
4cm fresh ginger, sliced
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3tbs shaoxing wine
3tbs light soy sauce
1tbs sesame oil
3tbs peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
400g jasmine rice, washed
500ml borth (see above)
Ginger and Spring Onion Dipping Sauce
6 green spring onions (lower half only), thinly sliced
4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1/4 tsp salt
60ml peanut oil
Chilli Garlic Dipping Sauce
6 long red chillies, finely chopped
1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
2tsp lime juice
2tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
- To make broth, place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Simmer for about 1 ½ - 2 hours or until reduced by half.
- Cool slightly then strain through a colander lined with muslin. Discard solids.
- To cook rice, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and ginger until soft. Add rice and salt. Stir to coat. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about for 15 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes without lifting the lid. Fluff grains with a fork.
- To make ginger and spring onion sauce, combine onions, ginger and salt in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan until smoking. Pour over onion mixture (be careful as it will spit). Stir to combine.
- To make chilli garlic sauce, process all ingredients until smooth.
- To cook chicken, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add chicken and remove pan from heat. Stand, covered, for about 5-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked (if it requires further cooking, simply return to the heat for a few minutes). Remove poached chicken and drain on absorbent paper. Arrange on serving plates.
- Serve chicken and rice with sauces, cucumber and kecap manis. Garnish with spring onions.