Val and Courtney - Tandoori Chicken Skewers
with Paratha Bread and Mango Salsa
Prep time: 30 mins (+ 30 mins resting) Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
6 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
1 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1cm-piece ginger, finely grated
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp mild paprika
1 tbs garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
60ml plain yoghurtParatha Bread
300g atta flour
150g plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 tbs ghee, melted, plus extra, to brushMango Salsa
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 large firm ripe mango, cut into 1cm cubes
1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
1/2 bunch mint, chopped
2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, chopped
- Place chicken in a bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic, ginger, salt and paprika. Using your hands, massage to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make paratha, sift combined flours and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in ghee until a crumb consistency. Add 185ml water until a firm dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Enclose dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make salsa, whisk lime juice, sugar and vinegar in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- Add garam masala, cumin, coriander and yoghurt to chicken and sir to combine.
- Thread chicken onto 8 skewers and refrigerate.
- Roll out dough into four mandarin-sized balls, then roll out each ball until 2mm thick.
- Brush parathas with extra ghee and cook on a hot barbecue hotplate until golden on both sides.
- Preheat a greased barbecue grill plate. Add chicken skewers to plate and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
- Divide skewers, paratha and salsa among serving plates to serve.