Val and Courtney - Spicy Chickpeas
with Pan Seared Fish
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
600g firm white skinless fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
1 tbs olive oil
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper, to season
8 baby cos lettuce leaves
Thinly sliced red chilli, to garnishPickled Radish
125ml white vinegar
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp salt
4 red radishes, thinly slicedMasala Chickpeas
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 curry leaves stalks, leaves picked
1 onion, finely chopped
2cm-piece ginger, grated
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp panch phoran
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
400g can chickpeas, drained
1 large tomato, finely chopped
- To make pickled radish, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot and sugar dissolves. Pour over radishes in a bowl and set aside to cool. Drain.
- To make masala chickpeas, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add curry leaves and fry for 1 minute or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Add onion, ginger and chilli to pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in panch phoran, garam masala and turmeric. Stir in chickpeas and tomato. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine fish in a bowl with oil and lemon zest. Season well and set aside.
- Preheat a frying pan over high heat. Add fish and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and just cooked through.
- Place lettuce leaves on serving plates. Fill with chickpeas and fish, then top with pickled radish. Garnish with fried curry leaves and sliced chilli to serve.