Val and Courtney - Samosa Crisp
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 6
250g plain yoghurt
1 green mango, cut into julienne
seeds of 1 pomegranate
Coriander leaves, to garnishMint & Cucumber Chutney
½ bunch mint, leaves chopped
½ bunch coriander leaves
2 green spring onions, chopped
1 long green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
1 tbs caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemonTamarind Chutney
1 tbs tamarind concentrate
50g brown sugar
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cumin seeds
Pinch chilli powderChickpea Salad
400g can chickpeas, drained
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
2 tbs lemon juicePotato Budgia
500g potatoes, cut into 4cm pieces
2 tbs ghee
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
Juice of ½ a lemonPapri
300g plain flour
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbs soft ghee
Extra ghee, for shallow frying
- To make mint and coriander chutney, blend all ingredients until smooth. Season. Add a little water if mixture is too thick. Refrigerate until required.
- To make tamarind chutney, place water in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Whisk in tamarind concentrate until combined. Stir in sugar and spices until sugar dissolves. Simmer for until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To make chickpea salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until required.
- To make potato budgie, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Mash coarsely.
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan. Stir in spices. Cook until fragrant. Add to potatoes and toss to evenly coat and combine. Drizzle over lemon juice and toss to combine. Season.
- To make papri, place flour, seeds and salt in a bowl. Using your hands, combine mixture with enough of the ghee to form a soft dough. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until about 2mm thick. Cut out 10cm rounds.
- Heat extra ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Shallow fry papri in batches until golden and crisp on each side. Drain on absorbent paper.
- To assemble, spoon potato budgia on to papri. Layer with chickpea salad, tamarind and mint chutneys, yoghurt, green mango, pomegranate and coriander.