Val and Courtney - Masala Beef Shin
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 4
Fresh garam masala, to sprinkle
Coriander, to garnish
Thinly sliced radish and lemon wedges, to serveCurry
2 tbs ghee
1kg beef shin osso bucco, chopped
2 brown onions chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 long red chillies, chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbs garam masala
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
10 cardamom pods
2 cups red lentils, washed
Juice of 2 lemonsPomegranate & Cucumber Raita
250g plain yoghurt
Seeds of 1 small pomegranate
1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch caster sugarChilli & Tomato Chutney
1 tbs ghee
1 brown onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
500g tomatoes, chopped coarselyPilau Rice
2 tbs ghee
300g basmati rice, washed
2 black cardamom pods
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
625ml vegetable stock
50g chopped cashew nuts, toasted
- To make curry, heat half the ghee in a large heavy based saucepan.
- Cook beef, in small batches, until browned all over. Remove from dish and set aside.
- Heat remaining ghee in same pan over medium heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Stir in garlic, ginger, chillies and curry leaves.
- Whisk ground spices with the water and add to pan. Stir in cardamom pods. Bring to a simmer. Stir in beef. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until beef is almost tender (alternatively you could cook it in a 170C oven). Add lentils. Simmer, covered, until lentils and beef are tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, to make raita, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Refrigerate until required.
- To make chutney, melt ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Stir in spices. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, until mixture is soft and thick. Season.
- To prepare rice, melt ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in rice and spices. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock. Bring to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for a further 13-15 minutes. Stand covered for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in cashews.
- Serve curry sprinkled with fresh garam masala and coriander. Serve with rice, chutney, raita, radish and lemon wedges.