Val and Courtney - Lamb Cutlets
with Sweet Spiced, Anglo-Indian Sauce
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4
12 lamb cutlets, French-trimmed
2 tbs olive oil
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, juicedSweet Spiced Anglo-Indian Sauce
60ml vegetable oil
500g lamb or beef bones
2 curry leaves stalks, leaves picked
3 tsp garam masala
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 onion, chopped
5cm-piece ginger, finely grated
6 garlic cloves, crushed
3 small red chillies, seeded, chopped
2 vine tomatoes, chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 cinnamon quills
1 star anise
4 bay leaves
4 cardamom pods, bruised
80ml malt vinegar
3 tbs brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to seasonTurmeric Potatoes
1kg potatoes, halved
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
15 curry leaves
1 lemon, juiced
- To make the sauce, heat 1 tbs of the oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bones and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add remaining oil, curry leaves, garam masala, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon and ground cloves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until starting to brown. Add fresh tomato and capsicum. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in canned tomato, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves and cardamom pods. Return bones to pan.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened. Remove and discard beef bones and whole spices.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar. Season.
- Using a stick blender, blend until thickened. Season.
- To make potatoes, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and boil for 20 minutes or until tender, adding peas for the final 5 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add spices, garlic and curry leaves. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Season. Pour mixture over potatoes in pan and lightly crush with a fork. Drizzle over lemon juice.
- Preheat a chargrill pan over high heat. Brush lamb all over with oil and season. Add lamb to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate and stand, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest.
- Season cucumber with salt and toss with lemon juice.
- Divide lamb, potatoes and cucumber among serving plates and pour over sauce to serve.