Val and Courtney - Fish Curry
with Rice and Eggplant Pickle
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins Serves: 4
Steamed basmati rice, to serveEggplant Pickle
1 tbs ghee
1/4 tsp black or brown mustard seeds
8 curry leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1cm-piece ginger, finely grated
2 long red chillies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 eggplant, halved lengthways, thickly sliced
1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
125ml white vinegar
1 tbs brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masalaFish Curry
600g skinless mackerel fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs ghee
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 stalks curry leaves
2 cinnamon quills
1 onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm-piece ginger, finely grated
2 long green chillies, sliced lengthways
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
8 tomatoes, finely chopped
500ml fish stock
2 tbs tamarind purée
1 lemon, juiced
400g can coconut cream
Salt and pepper, to seasonTomato Kachumba
3 tomatoes, seeded, diced
1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, diced
2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp caster sugar
- To make pickle, melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop. Add curry leaves, garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in paprika and turmeric. Stir in eggplant and capsicum. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered and stirring often, for 20 minutes or until softened. Remove lid and simmer for a further 20-25 minutes or until liquid has reduced. Set aside to cool.
- To make curry, place fish in a bowl. Add turmeric and salt and massage into flesh. Refrigerate until required.
- Melt ghee in a large deep frying pan. Add seeds, curry leaves and cinnamon quills. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add ground spices. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until oil rises to the top. Stir in tomato, stock, tamarind purée and lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in coconut cream and season. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add fish. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to allow residual heat to gently cook fish.
- To make kachumba, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide rice among serving plates and top with fish curry. Serve with eggplant pickle and tomato kachumba to the side.