Val and Courtney - Angoori Jamuns
with Saffron & Rosewater Syrup
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4
Ghee, for deep frying
Crème fraiche and raspberries, to serveSyrup
220g caster sugar
4 cardamom pods, bruised
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1 tbs rosewaterJamuns
125g milk powder
50g self-raising flour
180ml thickened cream
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients except rosewater in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissovles. Simmer until thickened to form a syrup. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. Stir in rosewater.
- To make jamuns, sift combined milk powder and flour into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add enough of the cream to form a soft dough. Roll dough into walnut size balls.
- Deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Transfer to syrup to soak for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Serve jamuns in syrup with crème fraiche and raspberries.