Tim and Kyle - Tuna Ceviche
with Puffed Wild Rice, Avocado Puree and Wasabi Mayonnaise
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 10 mins Serves: 6
Salt and pepper, to season
Vegetable oil, to deep fry
20g wild black rice
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
500ml white wine vinegar
1tbs mustard seeds
1tbs coriander seeds
3 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of rosemary
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2tbs soy sauce
2 limes, zested, juiced
1 bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems finely chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
4 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
400g sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1.5cm cubes
2 avocados, flesh scooped
1 lemon, juiced
2 egg yolks
1 lemon, juiced
1tbs white wine vinegar
250ml vegetable oil
1tbs wasabi paste
1tsp Dijon mustard
- To make pickled vegetables, place all ingredients, except onion and radish, in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Place onion and radish in a bowl, then strain liquid on top. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate until required.
- To make ceviche, combine all ingredients, except tuna, in a bowl and set aside.
- To make avocado purée, blend avocado and lemon juice until smooth. Season.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Deep-fry rice for 20 seconds or until puffed. Pour through a sieve to drain. Season.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, juice and vinegar in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Stir in wasabi and mustard. Season.
- Add tuna to ceviche mixture and toss to combine.
- Divide purée among serving plates and top with tuna, vegetables and cucumber. Scatter with puffed rice and dot with mayo to serve.