Tim and Kyle - Spiced Kangaroo
with Beetroot and Walnut Puree and Weed Salad
Prep time: 45 mins (+ chilling) Cook time: 2 hours 15 mins Serves: 4
4 x 200g kangaroo fillet steaks
Toasted, chopped macadamias, to serve
Dry Spice Rub
1 tsp sumac
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp freshly ground coffee
Beetroot and Walnut Puree
2 medium beetroot
25g walnuts, roasted
100g Greek yoghurt
1kg veal and lamb bones
6 garlic cloves, skin on
2 onions, skin on, quartered
2 celery stick, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
300ml red wine
100g butter, cubed
40ml olive oil
10ml lemon juice
20ml balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
- Combine dry spice rub ingredients in a bowl. Rub all over kangaroo. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make purée, preheat oven to 200C. Individually wrap beetroot in foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 1 hour or until soft. When cool enough to handle, peel away skins.
- Process flesh in a food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- To make stock, place all ingredients in a roasting dish. Toss to combine and season.
- Roast for 1 hour or until caramelised. Transfer to a stockpot. Pour 2L (8 cups) water into roasting dish to deglaze, scraping any crusty bits off base of dish. Add to stockpot and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until reduced by half.
- To make jus, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, eschalot, celery, bay leaf and rosemary and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain in 300ml of the stock and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Strain and return to pan. Whisk in butter over low heat until a thick, glossy sauce forms. Reserve remaining stock for another use.
- Bring kangaroo to room temperature. Preheat an oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Add kangaroo and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate and stand, lightly covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients until combined. Season.
- Place salad leaves in a bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Place kangaroo steaks on each serving plate. Spoon purée to the side. Add salad leaves and top with macadamias. Drizzle over jus to serve.