Tim and Kyle - Porterhouse Steak
with Mushroom Sauce and Creamy Spinach
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4
4 x 200g porterhouse fillet steaks
Olive oil, to brush
1 tbs butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
60ml thickened cream
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
200g baby spinach
2 tbs finely chopped roasted hazelnutsMushroom Sauce
1 tbs olive oil
200g beef bones
200g lamb bones
2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
500ml beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
20g dried porcini mushrooms
100g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
100g button mushrooms, sliced
100g portobello mushrooms, sliced
50ml red wine vinegar
1 tbs corn flour, dissolved in 1 tbs water
Salt and pepper, to season
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bones and cook for 10 minutes or until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add bacon, onion and carrot to same pan. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Return bones to pan with stock, bay leaves, peppercorns and 500ml (2 cups) water. Simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain and discard solids.
- Melt butter in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in vinegar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the strained stock. Reserve remaining stock for another use. Stir in cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season.
- Brush steaks all over with oil and season.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks to pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate and stand, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in cream and lemon zest. Stir in spinach until just wilted. Season.
- Divide steaks and spinach among serving plates. Garnish spinach with hazelnuts. Pour over sauce to serve.