Tim and Kyle - Brownie
with Chocolate Stout Mousse and Coffee Syrup
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 6-8
300g crème fraîche
1 tsp vanilla paste
Finely crushed pretzels, to garnishBrownie
75g dark chocolate
75g milk chocolate
200g brown sugar
150g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
3 room temperature eggs, lightly beaten
100g macadamia nutsMousse
375ml stout beer
2 tbs caster sugar
100g dark chocolate, chopped
200g thickened creamCoffee Syrup
250ml boiling water
90ml espresso coffee
100g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line base and sides of a 20cm sqaure cake pan with baking paper.
- To make brownie, stir milk and dark chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth and combined.
- Sift combined sugar, flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in melted chocolate and butter mixture. Stir in eggs. Stir in nuts.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until just cooked, but still slighlty soft in the centre. Cool in pan. Remove from pan and cut into squares.
- To make mousse, stir stout and sugar in a saucepan until sugar dissolves. Simmer until reduced by about half to form a syrup. Pour hot syrup over chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add in stout and chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into serving glasses or a shallow dish if you wish to quenelle it. Refrigerate until set.
- To make syrup, stir water, coffee and syrup in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer untilt thickened to form a syrup. Cool completely.
- Whisk crème fraiche and vanilla paste until combined.
- Serve brownie with mousse, syrup and crème fraiche. Sprinkle with crushed pretzels to garnish.