Mell and Cyn - Lamb Cigars
with Mint Yoghurt Sauce
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 6
12 sheets fresh filo pastry
50g butter, meltedMint Yoghurt Sauce
125ml plain Greek yoghurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup finely chopped mintLamb Filling
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
300g lamb mince
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- To make mint yoghurt sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Refrigerate until required.
- To make filling, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Increase heat to medium and add lamb. Cook, breaking up lamb with a fork, for 2 minutes, or until lamb is just cooked. Stir in spices and juice. Season. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely.
- To make cigars, place 1 pastry sheet on a work surface and brush with melted butter. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling along 1 long edge. Fold in short sides 2cm. Roll up tightly to form a cigar shape. Place on prepared oven tray.
- Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling.
- Heat a large frying pan or electric hotplate over medium heat. Spray cigars all over with vegetable oil and cook, turning, until golden, crisp and hot.
- Serve lamb cigars with yoghurt sauce.