Mell and Cyn - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
with Passionfruit Curd and Tuiles
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins (+ 4 hours freezing) Cook time: 25 mins Serves: 16
Edible flowers, to decorateIce Cream
500ml thickened cream
2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped
5 egg yolks
110g caster sugarPassionfruit Curd
170g caster sugar
200g unsalted butter, chopped
3 tsp finely grated lemon zest
80ml lemon juice
125g passionfruit pulpAlmond Tuiles
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
90g icing sugar
100g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g butter, melted
40g flaked almonds, toastedItalian Meringue
200g caster sugar
4 egg whites
1 pinch cream of tartar
- To make ice-cream, place milk, cream and vanilla seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- Meanwhile, to make curd, whisk eggs and sugar in a medium saucepan, off the heat, until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Set aside to cool completely. Refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two oven trays with baking paper. Using pencil, draw 8cm sized circles, 3cm apart.
- To make tuiles, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually whisk in sugar until dissolved. Stir in flour and vanilla. Stir in butter.
- Spread 2 tsp of mixture onto prepared trays until all mixture used.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until crisp around edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make Italian meringue, place sugar and 200ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until temperature reaches 118C.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar syrup, beating for a further 10 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Sandwich tuiles with curd and meringue. Add a scoop of ice-cream and decorate with edible flowers to serve.