Mell and Cyn - Blue Swimmer Crab
with Avocado Puree and Citrus Salad
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4
Chives and micro herbs, to garnishPomegranate Gel
1 1/2 sheets gelatine leaf
250ml pomegranate juice
1 tsp caster sugarDressing
1 blood orange, juiced
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs pomegranate molasses
1 tbs verjuice
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
Salt and pepper, to seasonAvocado Puree
2 avocados, flesh scooped
1 lime, juiced
2 tbs extra virgin olive oilCrab Salad
2 tbs crème fraiche
4 chives, finely chopped
4 cooked blue swimmer crabs, meat picked
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
2 long red chillies, seeded, finely chopped
2 blood oranges, segmented
- To make pomegranate gel, soak gelatine in cold water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Place pomegranate juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Squeeze gelatine leaves to remove excess water, then whisk into hot juice until dissolved.
- Pour into a jug and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Blitz with a stick blender until a gel forms.
- To make dressing, simmer blood orange juice in a small saucepan until reduced by two-thirds. Set aside to cool completely. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine. Season.
- To make avocado purée, process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season.
- To make crab salad, whisk crème fraîche with chives. Stir in crab meat, then season. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Spoon purée into each serving bowl. Top with salad. Drizzle over dressing and dot with gel. Garnish with chives and herbs to serve.