Mark and Chris - Scallops in Prawn Bisque
Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 35 mins Serves: 10
10 scallops, without roe
Chopped chives and black caviar, to garnishPrawn Bisque
50ml olive oil
10 jumbo tiger prawns, peeled, deveined (reserving meat, heads, tails and shells)
1 shallot, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 baby fennel, chopped
500ml fish stock
50ml thickened cream
Salt and pepper, to season
- To make bisque, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add prawn heads and shells and cook, pounding with the end of a rolling pin and stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add shallot, carrot, celery, garlic and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add vermouth and simmer for 1 minute or until reduced by half. Add fish stock. Simmer, partially covered, for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until very smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add prawn meat and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked. Using a handheld blender, blend to combine. Stir in cream and season well.
- Season scallops all over. Preheat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook for 1 minute. Turn and cook for a further 15 seconds or until just cooked through.
- Place scallops in serving spoons. Drizzle over bisque, then garnish with chives and caviar to serve.