Mark and Chris - Porchetta
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 3 hours Serves: 4-6
1 litre chicken stock
100g dried porcini mushrooms
4 pork and fennel sausages, squeezed out of their skins
1 tbs fennel seeds, toasted, finely crushed
1.5kg piece boneless pork belly, skin scored
250ml dry white wine
1 tbs cornflour dissolved in 2 tbs water
1kg potatoes, peeled, chopped into 4cm pieces
25g butter, chopped
125ml milk, warmed
1 medium fennel, cut into julienne
1 large green apple, cut into julienne
2 tbs verjuice
2 tsp olive oil
- To prepare porchetta, heat chicken stock in a saucepan until hot. Remove from heat and add porcini. Set aside for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve stock.
- Finely chop softened porcini and place in a bowl with the sausage meat and fennel seeds. Mix to combine. Season.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place pork, skin-side down, on the bench. Spread stuffing over meat and roll from one long end to enclose. Secure at 2cm intervals with kitchen string. Season skin with salt. Place in a roasting dish.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 150C and roast for a further 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- To make sauce, remove pork from roasting dish and place on a warm plate, covered with foil, to rest for 20 minutes.
- Place roasting dish over medium heat. Add wine and simmer until reduced by two thirds, scraping base of pan to remove any crusty bits. Add reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornflour mixture. Boil gently until thickened to form a sauce. Season. Add any juices from carved meat. Strain if desired.
- To make mashed potatoes, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
- Return to saucepan and mash over lowest heat until smooth and water has evaporated. Add butter and cream and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Season.
- To make salad, toss all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
- Serve sliced porchetta with mashed potatoes, salad and sauce.