Mark and Chris - Fettuccine Carbonara
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 15 mins Serves: 4
3 egg yolks
75g finely grated parmesan
2 tbs olive oil
75g pancetta, cut into 2cm pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
Extra grated parmesan, to serveFettuccine
400g pasta flour
1 tsp salt
- To make fettuccine, place flour and salt in a processor to combine. Add eggs. Process to form a crumbly dough.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured bench for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic (it will lose it's rough, floury texture).
- Stand, covered, for 20 minutes to rest. Divide into quarters. Pass quarters through a pasta machine on the widest setting, dusting dough with flour between rolls, increasing settings until about 2mm thick.
- Pass pasta sheets through a fettuccine cutter. Place fettuccine on a lightly floured tray (or hang) for 15 minutes, to dry a little before cooking.
- Whisk egg yolks and parmesan in a bowl to combine.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until crisp, adding garlic and thyme for last 1 minute.
- Cook fettuccine in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender or al dente. Drain. Add to pan with pancetta and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and stir through egg yolk mixture. Season.
- Serve fettuccine carbonara with grated parmesan.