Mark and Chris - Duck Breast
with Spiced Orange Sauce
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 4
4 duck breasts, skin scored
1 tsp Chinese five spiceSpiced Orange Sauce
1 tbs olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 pink peppercorns, bruised
2 cardamom pods, bruised
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground star anise
2 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
300ml chicken stockMashed Potato
1kg potatoes, peeled, chopped
80ml milk, warmed
25g butter, chopped
- To make sauce, heat oil in large deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook shallots until soft.
- Stir in spices. Add vinegar and sugar. Cook, stirring, until mixture caramelises. Stir in juice. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in stock. Simmer until reduced and thickened to form a sauce. Season. Strain. Stir in juices from cooked, rested duck before serving.
- To make mash, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Return to saucepan and mash over lowest heat until smooth and water has evaporated. Add milk and butter and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Season.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Season duck all over and rub in spice. Place in a large frying pan, skin side down. Place over a low heat and cook until skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for 1 minute. Transfer duck to an oven tray and roast for about 3 minutes or until cooked as desired. Set aside to rest, for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
- Serve duck and mash with sauce.