Mark and Chris - Bomobolini
with Raspberry Sorbet
Prep time: 50 mins (+ 1 hour standing) Cook time: 15 mins Serves: 12
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Icing sugar, to dustRaspberry Sorbet
440g caster sugar
8 cups frozen raspberries
125ml liquid glucose or corn syrup
60ml lime juiceBombolini
12g fresh yeast
250ml milk, at room temperature
2 egg yolks
450g plain flour
110g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 orange, zested
100g butter, diced, softenedVanilla Mascarpone
4 tbs icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla paste
- To make sorbet, place sugar and 500ml (2 cups) water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer until slightly thickened. Add raspberries and stir for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer to a blender with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into an ice-cream maker. Chill. Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- To make bombolini, stir yeast and 80ml (1/3 cup) of the milk in a bowl and set aside.
- Place egg, egg yolks and remaining milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to combine.
- Add combined flour, sugar, salt and orange zest and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms. Add yeast mixture and mix for 3 minutes. With the motor running, add butter a little at time until combined.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl and set aside, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and roll out on a lightly floured work surface until 2.5cm thick. Cut out 5cm rounds and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for about a further 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make vanilla mascarpone, lightly whisk all ingredients together until combined. Refrigerate until required.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, gently drop doughnuts into the oil and fry, turning, for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Make a small hole in top of doughnuts with a knife or teaspoon and spoon or pipe in vanilla mascarpone.
- Divide doughnuts among serving plates and serve with sorbet to the side.