Mark and Chris - Lobster
Prep time: 50 mins Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins Serves: 4
2 large lobsters, halved, tail flesh removed, heads and shells reserved
Finely grated lemon zest and chervil sprigs, to serveBisque
60ml olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
Heads and shells from 2 lobsters
Head and shells from 8 king prawns, meat reserved for another use
1.5L fish stock
100ml double cream
Salt and pepper, to season
2 tbs lemon juice
- To make bisque, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot, carrot, celery, garlic and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add lobster and prawn heads and shells.
- Cook, pounding with the end of a rolling pin (to break shells and extract flavour) and stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 minutes. Add vermouth and simmer until reduced by half. Add fish stock. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove large lobster head shells. Transfer remaining mixture (including prawn shells and heads) to a blender and blend in batches. Strain mixture through a sieve lined with muslin into a clean saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then stir in cream. Season. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in lemon juice.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously so butter stays emulsified. Add lobster tails. Reduce heat to low and cook, basting, until just cooked.
- Divide bisque among serving bowls. Top with poached lobster. Garnish with lemon zest and chervil to serve.