Lama and Sarah - Cheese and Spinach Fatayer
Prep time: 1 hour (+ resting) Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 6
Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp dried yeast
160ml lukewarm water
500g English spinach, finely chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 parsley, finely chopped
250g feta, crumbled
1tbs pomegranate molasses
1tbs olive oil
1tsp lemon juice
200g grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 smal red capsicum, thinly sliced
12 green olives, quartered
12 black olives, quartered
1 green spring onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup mint leaves
- To make dough, sift combined flour, salt and yeast into a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix to combine. Replace paddle with a dough hook and knead to form a soft dough.
- Transfer dough into a large oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, place spinach in a colander. Lightly sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. Transfer spinach to a large clean tea towel and gather corners to form a ‘bag’. Squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible.
- Transfer spinach to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll one half out on a lightly floured surface until about 3mm thick. Cut out 10cm rounds.
- Place about a tablespoon of compacted filling into centre of rounds and fold in dough from three sides to form a triangular parcel. Pinch edges firmly to seal.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush fatayer with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- To make salad, whisk oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Season. Add remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
- Serve fatayer with salad.