Lama and Sarah - Asmalieh
Prep time: 30 mins (+ cooling) Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins Serves: 8
180g Kataifi pastry, torn into short lengths
100g butter, melted
Chopped, roasted pistachio nuts, to decorate
120g fine semolina
60g cornflour, dissolved in 2tbs milk
110g caster sugar
600ml thickened cream
220g caster sugar
Juice if 1/2 lemon
1tsp orange blossom water
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Toss pastry with butter to coat.
- Place half on a baking tray in a thin layer (reserve remaining half to top dessert). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp, tossing half way through. Cool completely.
- To make custard, whisk all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat until thick. Cool.
- Arrange cooked pastry over base of a baking dish. Pour over cooled custard and top with reserved uncooked pastry.
- Bake until custard is set and pastry is golden and crisp. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, stir sugar, water and juice in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in orange blossom and rosewater. Cool completely.
- Serve slices of Asmalieh with syrup. Decorate with pistachios.