Kelsey and Amanda - Ricotta and Spinach Ravioli
with Saffron Burnt Butter
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
Deep-fried sage leaves and grated parmesan, to serve
2tbs olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
250g silverbeet, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
125g fresh ricotta
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper, to season
300g pasta flour, plus extra to dust
Saffron Burnt Butter Sauce
1 pinch saffron threads
- To make filling, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until very soft, but not coloured. Stir in silverbeet and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wilted. Set aside to cool, then stir in ricotta and lemon zest. Season. Transfer to a food processor and process until almost smooth.
- To make pasta, sift flour and salt on a work surface, make a well in the centre and break eggs into it. Using a fork, draw in flour until mixture is thick, then work in remaining flour using your hands. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. Divide dough into quarters. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time and dusting between rolls, until you reach the thinnest setting. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place a pasta sheet on a lightly floured work surface and trim edges. Place 3 teaspoons of filling in two rows of six, 4cm apart, to make 12.
- Brush a little water around the filling and top with a second pasta sheet. Press firmly around filling to seal. Using a crimped pastry cutter, cut out ravioli. Repeat with remaining pasta sheets and filling to make 24 ravioli.
- To make sauce, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add saffron and season. Cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until brown and foaming.
- Cook pasta, in batches, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes or until just tender and ravioli floats to the top. Drain well.
- Divide ravioli among serving bowls and spoon over sauce. Garnish with sage and parmesan to serve.