Kelsey and Amanda - Chocolate Fondant
with Berry Coulis and Caramel Ice Cream
Prep time: 1 hour (+ 4 hours freezing) Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 8
Fresh bananas, to serve
Caramel Ice Cream
1 pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
8 egg yolks
250g caster sugar
300ml thickened cream
200g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
100g mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
10g caster sugar
Coccoa powder, to dust
200g dark chocolate
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
4 egg yolks
2tbs plain flour
2tbs coccoa powder
- To make ice-cream, place milk, salt, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine.
- Stir sugar and 2 tbs water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Cook until a dark amber colour. Gradually stir in cream until lumps of caramel dissolve and mixture is smooth and combined. Whisk in milk and egg mixture.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- To make coulis, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until soft. Pass through a fine sieve and refrigerate until cold.
- To make fondants, preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease eight ramekins and dust with cocoa powder.
- Fill a small saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl, place over pan and stir until chocolate has melted (don’t let the bowl touch the water).
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and egg yolks until thick and creamy. Stir in chocolate mixture. Fold in combined sifted flour and cocoa. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until just set. Stand for 1 minute, then turn out onto serving plates.
- Add a scoop of ice-cream, then spoon over coulis. Top with berries to serve.