Karen and Ros - Crispy Pork Belly
with Chicken & Pork Gravy and Fennel & Apple Salad
Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 6
1.5kg-piece pork belly, rind scored
2 tsp salt
2 tbs vegetable oilChicken and Pork Gravy
30ml vegetable oil
300g chicken wings, chopped into 3 pieces
200g pork bones
5 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, chopped
250ml apple cider
1L chicken stock
3 thyme sprigs
Salt and pepper, to seasonFennal and Apple Salad
60ml extra virgin olive oil
2½ tbs apple cider vinegar
1½ tbs coarsely chopped tarragon
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp caster sugar
2 baby fennel, cut into julienne
2 granny smith apples, cut into julienne
3 celery stalks, cut into julienne
- Preheat oven to 220C. Rub pork all over with salt and oil. Place pork, rind-side up, in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180C and roast for a further 1 hour or until meat is tender and rind is crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make gravy, heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken wings and pork bones. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter to same pan. Add eschalot, garlic and apple and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Return chicken wings and pork bones to pan. Add cider and simmer for 5 minutes or until almost evaporated. Stir in stock and thyme. Season. Reduce heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain and discard solids.
- To make slaw, whisk oil, vinegar, tarragon, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl to combine. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Season.
- Thickly slice pork and divide among serving plates. Add slaw and serve with gravy in a jug to the side.