Karen and Ros - Middle Eastern Lamb
with Couscous Stuffing and Orange Jus
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4-6
1.5kg boned lamb leg
600g pumpkin, slicked thickly
2 medium zucchinis, slicked thickly
60ml olive oil
160ml vegetable stock
100g dried apricots, chopped
4tbs mint, chopped
3tbs pistachio nuts, toasted
Grated zest of 2 lemons
2 cloves garlic, chopped
310ml orange juice
1cm piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
180ml chicken stock
2tbs plain flour
2tsp brown sugar
2tsp wholegrain mustard
150g quince paste
100ml red wine vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make stuffing, bring stock to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff and separate grains with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir through remaining ingredients.
- Place lamb on a clean work surface and open out. Fill with stuffing, then roll and tie at regular intervals with butchers string to secure. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb until browned all over. Transfer to an oven tray. Roast for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer lamb to a warm plate. Reserve pan to make jus. Cover with foil. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Place pumpkin and zucchini in an oven dish. Drizzle with oil. Season. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- To make jus, simmer juice and ginger in a small saucepan until juice is reduced by half.
- Place roasting pan in which lamb was cooked, over a medium heat. Add oil. Cook onion and garlic until golden. Add stock and orange juice mixture. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, scraping base of pan to remove any crusty bit. Whisk in flour. Stir in any juices from resting meat. Bring to a boil then simmer until thickened. Strain. Stir in sugar and mustard.
- To prepare cabbage, place a frying pan over medium heat. Add quince paste and vinegar and allow paste to melt. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve sliced lamb with red cabbage, roasted pumpkin and zucchini and jus.