Karen and Ros - Lemon Friands
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 18 mins Serves: 12
Fine polenta, to dust
Icing sugar, to dustFriands
5 egg whites
190g unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
120g roasted almond meal
200g icing sugar
50g plain flourLemon Curd
2 egg yolks
165g caster sugar
100g cold butter, chopped
2 lemons, zested, juicedMeringue
2 egg whites
110g caster sugar
- To make friands, preheat oven to 200C and lightly grease 12 holes of a friand pan. Dust with polenta.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Whisk in butter and lemon zest. Stir in combined sifted almond meal, icing sugar and flour. Divide mixture among
- prepared pan holes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to
- cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon curd, whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan until smooth. Add butter and lemon zest and juice. Place pan over low heat
- and stir for 15 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain mixture into a bowl, then cover with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
- To make meringue, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbs at a time, and beat for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thick and
- glossy and sugar has dissolved.
- Divide friands among serving plates and dollop with curd. Spoon over meringue and lightly brown with a blowtorch. Dust with sifted icing sugar to serve.